- This one-year top up programme is designed to provide you with a firm understanding of Human Resource Management.
- Apply contemporary research to the latest HR issues, such as talent management and embracing diversity.
- Graduate ‘business ready’, with the ability to think critically and innovate, while adapting to volatile, ambiguous or complex situations.
- As a graduate, you'll be eligible for Associate Membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
If you have a HND/DipHE qualification, this programme allows you top up your qualifications to a full degree, giving you access to more graduate career opportunities.
This one-year top up programme is designed to provide a firm understanding of HR. You’ll leave as a ‘business ready’ graduate, a confident, independent thinker, with the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
This top-up degree is designed specifically to develop you as a 'business ready' graduate: a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of business management, and equipped with the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
Our academics have extensive experience of organisations and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of Human Resource Management. You will be supported throughout by your Personal Tutor, who will help to guide your learning and career development. You will also have access to our extensive range of employability events. Alongside this, we provide a wide range of other opportunities to develop and learn, including a career mentoring scheme, student-led Business Society and online careers portal.
This programme is open for all students in the UK and overseas who wish to transfer to complete the final year of an undergraduate degree, as well as students who have completed study at one of Roehampton's partner institutions.
Our academic staff have extensive experience of organisations and will support you to connect your learning to the realities of business and management.
Business Readiness and Extended Academic Induction modules will build your future employability throughout your degree, by developing your academic, leadership and management skills.
Your Personal Tutor will support you to map your career development and provide guidance on your learning.
You will gain access to Roehampton Business School's many employability events, including workshops and employer exhibitions. Alongside this, we provide a career mentoring scheme, the student-led University of Roehampton Business Society (URBS) and an online careers portal.
As a Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development Associate Member, you will also gain access to a wealth of resources, including study guides, HR factsheets, CIPD research reports, and business, learning and development journals.
You will be able to network with HR professionals at CIPD events, to develop your knowledge, skills and industry connections. The University will pay your joining and student membership fees in your first year.
- Look at human resources management in an international context, and develop an understanding of employment law.
- Take other modules such as Business Ethics & Responsible Management.
- Complete a dissertation, focusing on an area of human resources management of your choice.
Required zero-credit module
What is business readiness?
Whether you want to work for a multinational, SME or public sector organisation, our courses equip you with the knowledge, skills and attributes necessary to succeed in business management. Each of our undergraduate business degrees is underpinned by the idea of ‘business readiness’. While with us, you will engage with a three-year compulsory Business Readiness module. It will ensure that when you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate to employers the value that you can add to their organisation.
Why do I need to be business ready?
It is critical that you are able to stand out in the graduate job market. You will be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills (including critical analysis, problem solving and expressing ideas verbally and in writing), and values, (your work ethos and resilience). These things combined make you ‘business ready’.
Employers desire evidence of professional experience in the role that you are applying for. You will have a wealth of experience gained through your course and through volunteering, part-time work experience, student projects and other activities. The Business Readiness module, guides you in crafting experiences into a personal narrative that evidences the knowledge, skills and attributes that you could contribute to an organisation.
How do I become business ready?
Business ready is designed into all Roehampton Business School programmes, where every module has opportunities for you to practice and simulate business readiness and employability skills. Each module has three key components:
- Knowledge and Understanding – Theories and concepts
- Intellectual Skills – Applying theories and concepts to business situations
- Transferable Skills – The practical skills that employers value
The compulsory Business Readiness modules incorporate discussion and reflection. You will compile a list of the skills you are gaining and chart your development in a way that articulates how you can enrich the organisations that will employ you.
You will be encouraged to take advantage of opportunities beyond the classroom, run by the Business School and the broader University. These include:
- Developing industry connections. Meeting fellow students and executives, managers, entrepreneurs and other professionals, many of whom are Roehampton alumni. With students from more than 140 countries on campus, and the opportunity to study abroad, you will be able to widen your network beyond the UK.
- Presenting yourself to recruiters. As part of your degree, you will learn how to pitch yourself, how to evidence your attributes and skills, and how to highlight the added value you can offer organisations. You will get practical support with CVs and guided interview simulations.
- Guest speakers. Over the course of your degree, you will hear from a range of guest speakers. Recent speakers have come from Haymarket Media Ltd, Santander and KPMG. You will also have the opportunity to visit companies and meet business leaders.
- Business Advisory Board. Our board of senior business leaders works to support the development of the Business School, ensuring that your degree reflects latest business.
- Volunteering. Our students' union has an extensive volunteering programme, through which large numbers of our students work on projects that benefit our local community. There are also opportunities to get involved on campus, including as a programme rep, flat rep or student council rep, or on one of the sports teams.
- Professional Body events. You will be encouraged to attend events organised by professional bodies, such as CIPD, the Chartered Management Institute and the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants, who accredit our degrees
- University of Roehampton Business Society (URBS). URBS is a student-run society that brings together business students and professionals, provides opportunities to attend business events (both on campus and in London), and enter into national business competitions.
This course will prepare you for working in a variety of HR roles, such as recruitment and selection specialist, employee relations or personnel manager, training and development adviser, diversity and equal opportunity advisor or performance management specialist.
Our careers team is available to support you from the start of your studies until after you graduate. They will help you build your CV, prepare for interviews, and meet and learn from successful graduates working at the top of their careers. You’ll also have opportunities to work with our partners across London and beyond, and to attend a Roehampton jobs fair where you can find out about graduate opportunities and meet employers.
*This currently applies to students in their first year only.
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.