- Learn from internationally renowned researchers in a range of performance and health-related physiological disciplines including environmental physiology, sport and exercise nutrition, neuromuscular strength and function, and clinical physiology.
- Gain frequent access to recently updated, state-of-the-art physiology laboratories and develop practical skills fundamental for both industry and research.
- Classes are taught in small groups and almost exclusively in the laboratories to enhance your learning and facilitate the transfer of theoretical knowledge into practical skills.
- We have partnerships with the likes of Fulham FC, Hercules Wimbledon Athletics Club, Crystal Palace FC, the Lawn Tennis Association, schools and coaching agencies.
Our programme equips you for a career in sport and exercise physiology. You will be provided with advanced knowledge based on the latest research in the theory and practice of a range of different areas in sport and exercise physiology, for the benefit of performance and health.
This inspiring degree offers a thorough theoretical, conceptual and practical grounding in the discipline. You will gain a detailed understanding of the science of sports and exercise with the focus on applied physiology. Among other things, you will study a wide variety of physiological assessment techniques, nutritional aspects of sport and exercise performance, and the physiological characteristics of the neuromuscular system with application to sport and injury. You will also be challenged to develop and publish new knowledge on a research topic of interest to you via a dissertation project.
Taught by leading experts in the field, you will develop the necessary skills to carry out your own consultancy work with a client. We also aim to provide opportunities for you to gain flexible and professional work placements through our professional networks. Placements in the past have included British Fencing, British Paralympic Sitting Volleyball, Watford FC and Queen Mary’s Hospital.
You will automatically become a part of the Sports and Exercise Research Centre, a research group committed to excellence in the field of sport, exercise and health sciences. Our research facilities have recently received over £250,000 of investment in state-of-the-art equipment located in specialist reach and teaching spaces - a physiology laboratory, walk-in environment chamber, cell-culture and wet laboratories, and a biomechanics laboratory.
In this practical and theoretical taught programme, you will learn in-depth the advantages and disadvantages of adopting particular protocols and practices and consider an integrated approach to physiological assessment when working with your clients. You will study the structure and function of tissues of the musculoskeletal system, from basic scientific mechanisms to applications in sports performance, injury, disease, and treatment.
Our hands-on teaching approach will enable you to analyse contemporary assessment techniques used in the testing of exercise and sport participants, focussing primarily on those required for the assessment of the elite performer. At the same time, you will be able to develop your own laboratory reports by using theory in the completion of a client specific assessment. This will demonstrate the assessment procedure, analysis and interpretation according to your research findings.
Compulsory module (MSc students only)
Compulsory modules (PGD & MSc students)
- Neuromusculoskeletal Function
- Nutritional Aspects of Exercise and Sport Performance
- Physiological Assessment
- Research Methods
- Biomechanical Measurement and Technology
- Psychology of Physical Activity, Health and Wellbeing
- Psychology of Sport and Performance
Compulsory and Required modules
Compulsory and/or required modules may change when we review and update programmes. Above is a list of modules offered this academic year.
Optional modules, when offered as part of a programme, may vary from year to year and are subject to viability.
Graduates go on to work as sport physiologists and rehabilitation experts in sport management consultancies.
Specialist facilities available for this course
Life at Roehampton
At Roehampton, we can offer all new students the opportunity to live in accommodation on our beautiful parkland campus, including affordable and high-end options.
We offer scholarships, provide hardship funding and help you find advice on managing your finances while you study.
We provide plenty of opportunities for you to get involved, through volunteering, playing sport or music, or joining one of our many active student societies.